Under the direction and supervision of the responsibleRegistered Nurse (RN), performs specific patient care duties to meet safety andcomfort needs of the patient. Provides input to assist the RN in planning andimplementing patient care. Responds to emergent situations according toestablished procedures. Recognizes and participates in own continuingeducation. The Nurse Assistant follows the Henry Ford Health System Team MemberStandards of Excellence in all interactions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintainseffective, professional, and appropriate communication during all patient,family encounters and healthcare team member interactions.
- Activelyparticipates in Obtaining RN shift report
- Identifiesconcerns related to patients, staff, and self, and communicates with theresponsible RN. Actively participates in the shared governance process topromote nursing and team practice.
- Maintainscommitment to peers evidenced by healthy communication principles and positiveproblem solving.
- Asdirected, assists the RN in admitting, transferring and discharging ofpatients.
- Demonstratessensitivity to patients' comfort and privacy and is engaged in patients' care.Answers patient questions, and explains procedures when performing.
- Providespersonal care assistance to patients, including bathing, dressing, feeding,toileting, mobility, comfort and transportation.
- Providestherapeutic patient care under the supervision and/or direction of the RN, toinclude the following duties (per business unit process):
- Measures,documents and reports vital signs
- Collects,labels, and documents specimens at bedside
- Givesnon-medicated enemas
- Changescolostomy bags
- Assistswith restraints, unsterile dressings, warm and cold packs
- Followsproper isolation techniques and procedures
- Assistswith oral care
- Performsvenipuncture and chemsticks
- Routinerounding on patients assigned when not directly engaged in patient care tasks.
- Performspurposeful rounding according the unit standards.
- Maintainssafe and clean patient room environment.
- Keepsroom free from clutter
- Cleansbedside tables
- Maintainsroom free from excess supplies and linen.
- Maintainscleanliness of other assigned areas.
- Makes necessarysupply deliveries to patient rooms and ancillary departments.
- Performsother related duties as required within scope of practice.
- Mustpractice the customer service Standards of Excellence.
- Highschool diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Completionof a Nurse Assistant program with or without experience in the Nurse Assistantrole or Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA-preferred) with or without experience inthe Nurse Assistant role OR currently enrolled in a nursing program and havesuccessfully completed the Fundamentals of Nursing course or foreign trainedand licensed RN who has relocated to the United States and does not hold aMichigan RN license.
Mustmeet or exceed core customer service responsibilities, standards and behaviorsas outlined in the HFHS' Customer Service Policy and summarized below: