Using established coding principles and procedures reviews analyzes and codes diagnostic and/or procedural information from the patients medical record for reimbursement/billing purposes. Accurately abstracts information from the medical record for compilation of a patient database, which supports medical research projects, patient care evaluation and administrative decision making related to patient care. The coding function is considered a primary source for data and information used in health care today, and promotes provider/patient continuity, accurate database information, and the ability to optimize reimbursement. The coding function also ensures compliance with established coding guidelines, third party reimbursement policies, regulations and accreditation guidelines.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent required.
- Additional specialty coding certification required or Bachelors Degree required.
- One to two (1-2) years college or additional coursework in Accounting, Business, Healthcare Administration or Medical Record Sciences preferred.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, disease processes, medical terminology, pharmacology, and coding systems.
- Minimum of two (2) years coding experience required.
- Specialty coding experience preferred.
- Certification as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), CPC, or CCS certification required.