Description About this Opportunity
As a Machine Repair Mechanic, you'll perform advanced mechanical breakdown and preventive maintenance (PM), including the inspection, repair, and revision of complex/sophisticated plant machinery/mechanisms and manufacturing equipment. You will enhance and improve machine utilization to ensure process repeatability and uptime and reduce changeover and set-up times. You'll perform breakdown maintenance by troubleshooting, repairing, and documenting. You'll partner with management, engineering, and vendors regarding new machinery/equipment selection, specifications, set-up, and operator training. You may also act in a lead capacity and provide direction to other employees.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you . . .
- Actively participate in and contribute to machine and process design and improvements.
- Actively support all environmental and recycling efforts, including the disposal of hazardous materials. You may need to be HAZMAT certified.
- Adhere to all corporate and department safety guidelines and procedures. You'll attend, and may conduct, safety training classes to keep current.
- Aid in the design, assembly, and/or fabrication of all types of equipment and special machines.
- Contribute to the plant layout to facilitate the move, relocation, and installation of plant machinery and manufacturing equipment.
- Document repairs, set-ups, maintenance, PM, and safety procedures to ensure equipment reliability and quality control and improve the overall operation of equipment.
- Gain familiarity with machine control systems, including air logic, relay logic, Computerized Numerical Control (CNC), and Programmable Logic Control (PLC).
- Inspect, adjust, program, and repair machinery/mechanisms and equipment according to work assigned. You'll be responsible for mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic work on equipment.
- Ensure the working area, tools, and equipment are maintained in a clean, organized, and safe manner.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Perform installation of, make alterations to, and rebuild plant machinery and manufacturing equipment.
- Recommend and take part in systems and machine modifications with Management and Engineering.
- Recommend spare parts for inventory to provide equipment reliability.
- Operate all equipment necessary to perform the job.
- Work with Engineering, Production, and Quality to ensure effective and timely machine changeovers and set-ups.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have . . .
- A high school diploma or equivalent education.
- A U.S. Department of Labor Journeyman's Card in the mechanical repair field.
- A Maintenance Certificate and you are actively pursuing an Associate's degree in Welding and/or Machine Technology, or you have a U.S. Department of Labor Journeyman's Card in the mechanical field. You'll also need three to five years of related work experience (VanWagoner only).
- A valid driver's license.
- The ability to obtain a Herman Miller forklift, aerial platform, or other equipment operator's license.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Work Schedule: Monday thru Friday 3pm-11pm
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Holland